Men’s Tennis Primed for NCAA Tournament

first_img Match Notes DES MOINES, Iowa — Drake men’s tennis team is making its 11th NCAA Championship appearance and travels to Champaign, Ill. to square off against No. 19 Vanderbilt on Saturday (May 12). Match time at the Atkins Tennis Center is slated for 12 p.m. A victory propels the Bulldogs into a showdown with the winner of the No. 8 Illinois/Marquette on Sunday (May 13) at 2 p.m.It will be the first meeting between the Bulldogs and the Commodores in the NCAA Tournament. Drake will be making its seventh trip to Champaign, Ill. for the opening rounds of the tournament.A LOOK AT THE BULLDOGSThe Bulldogs enter the tournament with a 19-13 record and won their first Summit League regular season and tournament title in their inaugural season. Drake is tournament ready as it has faced off against eights teams in the regular season that are in the 64-team tournament. Drake is currently on a seven-match winning streak. The Bulldogs last setback was on April 7 against No. 36 Old Dominion, 4-3. Junior Tom Hands leads the team with a 19-10 singles record and is on a seven-match winning streak. Classmate Ben Clark has tallied 18 singles wins and has played at the No. 3, No. 4 and No. 5 spots. Winning the doubles point has proved to be vital for the Bulldogs as they are 18-1 when they win the doubles point. A LOOK AT THE COMMODORES2018 marks the 15th appearance for Vanderbilt in the NCAA Championships. The Dores boast a record of 18-14 in NCAA tournament play, highlighted by a 2003 NCAA Runner-up finish. VU heads into the tournament with a 18-8 overall record and 7-5 mark in SEC play. Most recently, Vandy went 1-1 at the SEC Tournament, defeating LSU, 4-0, but fell to Florida, 4-1. Vanderbilt will begin NCAA play with three ranked singles players, junior Cameron Klinger (26) and seniors Daniel Valent (31) and Baker Newman (124).Print Friendly Version Story Linkslast_img read more

Bench warrant issued as court told prisoner still at large

first_imgA court has been told that a prisoner who escaped from Letterkenny District Court is still on the run.William Reilly was due to appear in court today charged in connection with alleged criminal damages and assault charges. The 25-year-old, who has 35 previous convictions, fled from the courthouse in handcuffs on Monday last, January 29th after giving Gardai the slip.Reilly contacted The Star newspaper and revealed he had been hiding in garden sheds and even walked past the local Garda station later that day.He was due to appear in court again today but Garda Inspector Goretti Sheridan said he was awol.Judge Paul Kelly issued a bench warrant for Reilly’s arrest.Reilly had told The Star he is considering handing himself in but bragged he could easily stay away from Gardai for two to three years if he wanted to.The father-of-two is believed to be hiding out somewhere in Donegal.Reilly’s father was in court for today’s hearing.Bench warrant issued as court told prisoner still at large was last modified: February 7th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalescapedhandcuffsletterkennyWilliam Reillylast_img read more