Head of government rapped for a third time since start of election campaign

first_img News Three days ahead of legislative elections, the contentious media over-exposure of centre-right candidate, Silvio Berlusconi, brought his press group Mediaset yet another fine for failing to observe the “par condicio” law that ensures fair sharing of airtime among candidates.Reporters Without Borders welcomed the sanction, the third since the start of campaign. News News Reporters Without Borders welcomed the fact that a third fine was slapped on centre-right candidate Silvio Berlusconi on 3 April, days before legislative elections, via his privately-owned TV group Mediaset, for breaking the “Par Condicio” law on equal air time for candidates.“The head of government has several times been brought to heel by the superior council on broadcasting for having exceeded the airtime allowed by law during the campaign. The conflict of interests of the prime minister, who is also a press head, has been sanctioned. We welcome it,“ said the press freedom organisation.The Italian regulatory authority had already sentenced the group Mediaset, owned by Silvio Berlusconi, to a fine of 150,000 euros for exceeding his airtime on 9 February.On 22 March, two TV stations owned by Mediaset, were respectively fined 200,000 and 100,000 euros, for once again breaking the same law. The fine levied on 3 April amounting to 250,000 euros was the maximum allowed. The Italian communications authority found that, among others, the head and presenter of TV news on Rete 4, Emilio Fede, had openly supported Berlusconi during broadcasts and failed to balance news in favour of the centre-left lists between 22 to 28 March, as he had been instructed to after a first warning.On 5 April Silvio Berlusconi said he would not after all appear on one of his TV stations, Canale 5. The announcement of this latest appearance had provoked an outcry because it would have once again broken electoral rules. Berlusconi was going to be the programme’s only guest, since his main rival, Romani Prodi, had turned down the invitation. The TV duel between Silvio Berlusconi and Romano Prodi broadcast on 3 April on public television Rai should have been the last televised appearance of the two candidates. News April 6, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Head of government rapped for a third time since start of election campaign On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia ItalyEurope – Central Asia RSF and 60 other organisations call for an EU anti-SLAPP directive Follow the news on Italy Receive email alertscenter_img Help by sharing this information to go further ItalyEurope – Central Asia RSF_en Organisation Ten RSF recommendations for the European Union November 23, 2020 Find out more December 2, 2020 Find out more Related documents italian versionPDF – 104.25 KB November 19, 2020 Find out morelast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.Required fields are marked *