Carnegie libraryVevay, IN—The Ohio River town of Vevay in Switzerland County has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places, capping a multi-year effort by community activists, local agencies, and the DNR’s Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology (DHPA).Encompassing 275 historic buildings on 100 acres, the Vevay Historic District includes some of Indiana’s finest Greek Revival buildings. The Schenck House on West Market and the Grisard House on East Main, both large brick mansions, date to the 1840s. Both stand out for their refined, classically inspired porches and details.Vevay’s downtown area includes many well-preserved cast-iron storefronts. George L. Mesker & Co. in Evansville made most of the storefronts in the 1890s and early 1900s. Other architectural treasures from the 1900s include the town’s original Carnegie library, completed in 1917, which now serves as town hall.Indiana has more than 1,970 listings on the National Register of Historic Places, including downtown districts like Vevay, parks, bridges, civic spaces, and archaeological sites. For more information about Indiana’s National Register program, see dnr.IN.gov/historic.