Blatter hints at new evidence to challenge 6-year FIFA ban

first_imgLATEST STORIES Nonito Donaire vs Naoya Inoue is BWAA 2019 Fight of the Year Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter gestures as he gives an interview to news agencies on April 21, 2017 in Zurich. / AFP PHOTO / Michael BuholzerGENEVA — Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter claims to have “new facts” and wants to re-open the financial misconduct case that led to his six-year ban.“As new facts have appeared it’s time to question the decision of the Fifa Ethics-Committee — my suspension of 6 years!” Blatter said Friday on his reactivated Twitter account.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Michael Porter Jr. stays patient as playing time increases OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Almazan vows to comeback stronger after finals heartbreak Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Nueva Ecija warehouse making fake cigarettes raided, 29 Chinese workers nabbed Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award French referee banned 3 months after kicking player Asked by The Associated Press for details of potential evidence, Blatter spokesman Thomas Renggli replied in a message: “We are working on it.”Blatter is barred from soccer through October 2021 after the Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld his ban for payments to one-time adviser Michel Platini. The case cost Platini the UEFA presidency, and stopped him from being a candidate to replace Blatter in the 2016 election.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkThe CAS judges said Blatter was “reckless” for paying Platini $2 million in uncontracted salary more than eight years after the former France great stopped being employed by FIFA.Blatter also effectively added $1 million to Platini’s FIFA pension fund reserved for executive committee members by extending entitlement against the rules for the years he worked as an adviser. MOST READ Blatter tweeted the message to his 2.5 million followers from an account that was dormant since he was first suspended by the FIFA ethics committee in October 2015. It was revived this week. On Monday, he posted congratulations to Australian Open champion Roger Federer and then the cover of a new edition in Russian of his 2016 book, “Sepp Blatter: Mission and Passion Football.”Russia is the only country where Blatter, who is Swiss, has made a public appearance — at the World Cup qualifying draw held in St. Petersburg in July 2015 — since federal prosecutors in the United States and Switzerland unsealed sweeping investigations of alleged corruption linked to FIFA earlier that year.A Swiss criminal proceeding was opened against Blatter in September 2015 for alleged financial misconduct, but no charges have been made.The 81-year-old Blatter has often said he will return to Russia for the World Cup to fulfil a long-standing invitation from President Vladimir Putin.A second book is also expected to be published ahead of the World Cup. Blatter said last April it would document his 40 years with FIFA and 16 years as a member of the International Olympic Committee.ADVERTISEMENT OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Newsome sets focus on helping Bolts open new PBA season on right track Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

GuySuCo bonus not a novel idea as industry production edges higher

first_imgDear Editor,The Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) has recognised that several sections of the media have reported that the Guyana Sugar Corporation Inc (GuySuCo) is seeking to pay workers what it deems as a bonus arising from its higher level of sugar production this year.For the thousands of sugar workers still employed by the Corporation, the news that the sugar company is considering such an idea was indeed welcome, and, at the same time, it was received with some skepticism.The bonus, as the Corporation terms it, is by no means a new initiative. In fact, the arrangement under consideration is identical to the Annual Production Incentive (API) scheme which was suspended for a few years now. The API, as GAWU shared before, dates back to colonial times, and is a form of deferred earnings premised on annual sugar production.For the workers, the fact that the Corporation has offered such an incentive is a clear indication that their collective voices and actions could not be ignored by the GuySuCo hierarchy, and possibly by the powers-that-be.As the Corporation’s release pointed out, the industry is nearing its revised 2018 production target. It is welcome news for the industry, and is a clear demonstration of the commitment of the workers, whose dedicated efforts have allowed the GuySuCo to reach where it is today.We noted, too, that the Corporation, in its release, acknowledged this reality. Moreover, the GAWU believes such performances need to be rewarded, as the Corporation seemingly recognizes as well.At this time, the Union and the GuySuCo are engaged in discussions towards finding an amicable arrangement in the interest of all parties. We sincerely hope our engagements would result in an acceptable agreement.While happy about this (bonus) development, workers remain concerned that the Corporation has yet to consider the Union’s claim for a 15 per cent rise-in-pay retroactive to January 01, 2018. As is well known, sugar workers remain the only workers in the state sector to have not gotten any pay increase since the Coalition took office three and a half years ago.At this time, the GAWU and GuySuCo have already concluded discussions on the non-wage benefits. Those engagements resulted in a few improvements being secured. Our discussions this year, the GAWU notes, have been conducted in a more amicable environment. Whether the improvement could be attributed to the change in the Corporation’s leadership or other factors we are not sure, but we are, nevertheless, pleased with the new attitude of the GuySuCo.We sincerely hope that our current and future discussions can be conducted in a similar or improved atmosphere, as this augurs well for the GAWU/GuySuCo relations. The Union has pointed out on several occasions that our now 42-year relationship with GuySuCo had reached possibly its lowest ebb in recent years, and the GAWU had expressed its commitment to resuming the generally respectful and fruitful relations in the interest of the workers, the Corporation and the industry.At this time the GAWU has put forward a counter-proposal regarding the ‘bonus’, and the Corporation has committed to examining our suggestion; and expectedly, we will meet soon. The Union, nevertheless, believes that this stop-gap measure cannot be deemed a substitute for a pay rise, which has been denied for far too long though the workers, in spite of the circumstance, continue to demonstrate their importance to the successes being recorded.Also, it is reasonable to expect that the present leadership, having recognised the value of the API incentive, would undertake the removal of the suspension, and see such a practice as good for the industry’s progress. The GAWU, at this time, looks forward to the Corporation, in a similar vein, positively considering a pay rise.Sincerely,Guyana Agriculturaland General WorkersUnion (GAWU)last_img read more