Renovation work is tipped to increase in Queensland.FIRST home buyers are tipped to make a come back now that the ability for investors to buy has been dampened.The latest Housing Industry Association market outlook report revealed the first homebuyer market was in “strong recovery’’ because banking regulators had introduced measures to make it harder for investors to borrow.It said increased government support in terms of grants for first home buyers was also helping.“Investors are cooling their involvement in the market as they face punitive taxes, rising effective interest rates and slower price growth,’’ it said.“Owner occupiers who are also first home buyers are now a growing share of the market, up from the very low participation that characterised much of the past five years.’’The report found the first homebuyer share of the owner occupier market had increased nationally to 17.9 per cent, from 13.8 per cent in December 2016, as a result of an increase in participation from first home buyers in all states and territories, with the exception ofTasmania.More from newsNew apartments released at idyllic retirement community Samford Grove Presented by Parks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus21 hours agoGrowing demand in Tasmania had led to increased home prices which had put off first home buyers.The other sector of the market to undergo a resurgence was renovations according to the report.It said the value of home renovations totalled $34.01 billion in the 12 months to September 2017 — the highest total for a 12 month period since 2012.While levels were high at the moment the HIA predicted growth in renovations would start to slow this later this year before speeding up again in 2020.“We project that renovations work in Queensland will decline by 4.4 per cent in 2018 with growth returning in 2019 (+3.7 per cent),’’ it said.“In 2020, the pace of expansion is anticipated to accelerate to 5.9 per cent with growth easing to 1.2 per cent in 2021.’’
Atletico Madrid’s fears of further disruption to their trip to the UEFA Champions League “Final Eight” tournament in Lisbon have been eased.This came after the rest of the squad tested negative for COVID-19, following two positives the previous day. The club’s morning training session was postponed due to the positive cases and their plans to travel to Lisbon were put on hold.But the club have now said in a statement they would have one final session before flying out on Tuesday, a day later than planned.The statement revealed that the two players to test positive were forward Angel Correa and injured defender Sime Vrsjalko, who were both asymptomatic.They said the pair would miss the trip and were isolating at home.Atletico Madrid, who are bidding to win the competition for the first time after falling in the 2014 and 2016 finals, face German side RB Leipzig on Thursday in the quarter-finals. They will be hoping to set up a last four meeting with Paris Saint-Germain or Atalanta.“The first team squad and coaching staff underwent COVID-19 tests on Sunday and they all came back negative, after two positive tests were registered following the previous tests on Saturday,” said Atletico Madrid’s statement.“In keeping with health protocols, those who share a home with the two players who tested positive also received tests, which came back negative.“The club’s medical services have been authorised by the two players to reveal their identity in order to end speculation.”Atletico Madrid did not register any positive cases for the virus when La Liga re-started in June. This was after a three-month hiatus due to the pandemic, and the top flight was successfully completed without any major incidents.But mass positive tests at Madrid side Fuenlabrada last month threw the finale of the second division season into chaos, while cases across the country have continued to rise.The health ministry last Friday reported 1,895 new cases.Reuters/NAN.RelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules Sanwo-Olu: We’re committed to fulfilling promises to Lagosians —Tags: Atletico MadridCOVID-19UEFA Champions League
After spending the first two weeks of the season on the road, the No. 2 USC women’s water polo team will play their first game in their home pool when they host No. 15 San Diego State on Friday at the Uytengsu Aquatics Center at 5 p.m.The Trojans (7-0) are coming off a strong outing at the CBU Mini Invitational in Riverside, Calif., where they outscored Concordia University and Whittier College by a combined 50-5 margin, over the weekend. Fifteen different players tallied goals over the weekend, displaying the balance that head coach Jovan Vavic has on this year’s squad.USC is led by their pair of senior All-American drivers in Stephania Haralabidis and Ioanna Haralabidis, who are first and second on the team in scoring with 25 and 17 goals, respectively. Freshman utility Maud Megens has made an early impact for the Trojans, recording 15 goals for third-best on the team, while senior two-meter Brigitta Games and freshman driver Denise Mammolito have notched 11 goals apiece. In seven games, USC has recorded 131 goals compared to just 25 goals allowed.Defensively, a trio of goalies have split time in the cage this season. Junior Victória Chamorro holds the top saves per game average with 12.0 saves per game and only seven total goals allowed. Sophomore Amanda Longan leads the team with 36 total saves and an 11.1 saves per game average, while freshman Holly Parker has hauled in 10 saves on the season.The last time USC and San Diego State matched up was at the 2016 NCAA Quarterfinals last May. The Trojans won with a comfortable 12-3 score, led by junior utility Hayley McKelvey’s hat trick. USC holds the 36-9 all-time series lead and has won its last 35 games against the Aztecs.Furthermore, Friday’s game could help Stephania move up USC’s career scoring chart. Currently sitting at No. 6 all-time with 210 career goals, Stephania needs just four goals to pass Nina Wengst (1999-02) for fifth all-time and six goals to pass Moriah Van Norman (2003-06) for fourth all-time.Following their home opener, the Trojans will participate in a doubleheader on Saturday as part of the 2017 Whittier Invitational. USC faces off against Pomona-Pitzer at 9 a.m., followed by a game against Chapman University at 10:30 a.m.