DepEd would have to use not just the internet but also television and radio to ensure that classes resume among students learning from a distance. “Kung hindi po talaga dumating ang new normal at hindi mai-lift ang community quarantine, hindi naman po ibig sabihin na hindi na mag-aaral ang ating mga kabataan,” Roque said. “Unless I am sure that they are really safe, it’s useless to be talking about opening of classes. Para sa akin, bakuna muna. Pag nandiyan ang bakuna, okay na,” said Duterte on Monday. Malacañang eventually clarified that President Duterte was only against the opening of face-to-face classes until there is an available vaccine against COVID-19. The President said he wanted to ensure that students were vaccinated before they return to school. President Duterte said it was “useless” to talk about the opening of classes, particularly holding it face-to-face, without a vaccine because it would endanger the lives of students. “During these times, we only have to take care of two things. One, the containment of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Two, the economy. All our resources, all our time should be focused on these. All the things we can forego for 2020 we should forego,” said Defensor. The Department of Education (DepEd) set the opening of school year 2020-2021 on Aug. 24, 2020 while the end of the school year will be on April 30, 2021. While the opening of schools could rev up the economy, Defensor said, “it is not worth the risk.” What should teachers, students and parents do if the school opening won’t push through this August? The vaccine, however, may be available next year yet. For his part, Mayor Treñas lauded the President for having a similar concern with parents. He wrote DepEd secretary Leonor Briones a letter two weeks ago seeking the postponement of the school opening to 2021. However, if the COVID-19 infection rate continues to increase, he said, schools would have to implement “blended” and “flexible” learning schemes. Allowing students to return to school without getting vaccinated would “spell disaster”, he said. “Meron po tayong tinatawag na blended learning. Ayon po kay Secretary Briones ng DepEd, gagamitin po natin ang telebisyon, radyo at internet para ipagpatuloy po ang edukasyon ng ating mga kabataan,” Roque said./PN “We know the virus is still there, and the possibility of its transmission remains great if there is no physical distancing,” he said. ILOILO City – This city’s Mayor Jerry Treñas and Iloilo province’s Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. welcomed President Rodrigo Duterte’s similar concern over the safety of students vis-à-vis the opening of schools, and agreed with his position on the matter. “Habang wala pang bakuna at habang wala pa tayo sa new normal, ‘yung wala na pong community quarantine, hindi pa rin po tayo magkakaroon ng face-to-face classroom na mga klase,” said Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque in a virtual presser. According to the mayor, he won’t actively encourage students to go to school at this time. “I have been receiving a lot of messages through my cellphone and Facebook page nga ang mga ginikanan nakulbaan,” saidTreñas. “I will not allow the opening of classes na magdikit-dikit ang mga bata,” said Duterte in a public address late Monday night last week. “It is incumbent upon us, together with DepEd, nga mapungkoan ta kon ano ang ma-obra ta sa kabataan in the meantime,” said Treñas. Roque explained Duterte would only allow face-to-face classes once all areas in the country are out of all levels of community quarantine.
Latest Posts admin Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 Bio Latest posts by admin (see all) State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015 House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 BOSTON, MA — Several Mount Desert Island area runners are slated to participate in the running of the 2009 Boston Marathon on Monday, April 20. Interested parties can follow their progress on bostonmarathon.org.Runners include: Gary Allen, Cranberry Island; Mary Dudzik, Bar Harbor; Mathew Frongillo, Bar Harbor; Michele Gagnon, Ellsworth; Matt Homich, Ellsworth; James Newett, Ellsworth; Lou Ingrisano, Mount Desert; Amy Tunney, Ellsworth; Timothy Tunney, Ellsworth; Stephen Whalen, Bernard. Bar Harbor native Evan Graves of Caribou will also be running. This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text
Joey Kaufman contributed to this report. USC hosted the groundbreaking ceremony Thursday of the Wallis Annenberg Hall, marking the launch of a $150 million fundraising initiative.Breaking ground · USC administrators and supporters of the new Annenberg building mark the start of construction Thursday of the 88,000-square-foot, five-story Wallis Annenberg Hall. – Priyanka Patel | Daily TrojanThe hall will be located next to the Pertusati Bookstore at the corner of Childs and Watt ways, and is scheduled to open in the fall semester in 2014.A $50 million lead gift for the 88,000-square-foot, five-story building was donated by Wallis Annenberg, chairman of the board of the Annenberg Foundation and the longest serving trustee on USC’s Board of Trustees. The hall will provide innovative technology and facilities to prepare students for an industry that is becoming more reliant on digital media.“All the spaces have been carefully designed to be connectors and not containers, to be inviting and transparent, to encourage those passing by the building to enter the building to experiment to collaborate, to innovate and to learn,” said Dean Ernest Wilson III of the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism. “It’s designed to tear down the old media silos of print and broadcasting and web so it presents a converged newsroom that the students will understand. So when they get real jobs in the real world, they will have that unique experience.”The money raised will go toward supporting new projects for the new Annenberg building, including new technology enhancements, scholarships and fellowships. The new building will include a 20,000-square-foot newsroom that will publish student work across multiple platforms, a multistory digital media tower showcasing live student programming and a 360-degree assignment desk that will help facilitate the work of all Annenberg organizations while bringing the work of print, online, web and radio together.USC hopes the new building will continue Wallis Annenberg’s love for journalism and further her feeling of the field’s importance in society.“To share the compelling story of our daily lives, modern journalists must be equipped with all of the technology skills and the ethical principles to do their jobs and to do this well,” President C. L. Max Nikias said during the ceremony. “Wallis Annenberg has long recognized that it is not merely enough to train journalism students how to talk about a particular subject. She understands that they must also be given a deep knowledge of the very latest digital technologies, and that’s why it’s so important for us to have this new building to house our journalism programs and to provide the state of the art laboratories and equipment that will allow them to experiment, learn and succeed.”In a move announced in May, Annenberg laid off nine employees as part of a restructuring effort. The action led to some speculation that the cutbacks were made to save money for the new building. But, the cutbacks were not related to the building project, Geneva Overholser, director of the School of Journalism, told the Daily Trojan. The cuts, instead, were made as part of an attempt for the Annenberg School to “achieve savings in the wake of fiscal headwinds,” she said.The funds for the building project came directly from donations, Overholser said.Students who attended the ground breaking supported the new building, excited it would provide a beneficial experience for everyone, no matter the major.“It will be a great, completely high-tech space for people to come together and create ideas, discuss ideas and facilitate them and watch them come to reality,” said Eric Lavis, a graduate student studying communication management.Jenna Kovalsky, a senior majoring in public relations and international relations, said she felt proud to see the beginning of a building that would focus on bringing students together.“I think this is an exciting time for Annenberg,” Kovalsky said. “We’ve always prided ourselves on being innovative so having this new space will be another opportunity for us to bring students together and collaborate and improve the field of journalism and communication.”Faculty members are also looking forward to the improvements the building will have for the classrooms and the Annenberg organizations. They hope features like the converged newsroom will have a positive impact on changing the way student organizations will report and distribute news.“The infrastructure of the school is catching up with the reality on the ground,” said Marc Cooper, associate professor of Annenberg and director of Annenberg Digital News (Neon Tommy). “That new infrastructure is going to be very useful for us and it’s also going to move all of the Annenberg media ahead because it’s going to force us to work more closely with each other, which we have already started to do but this will finalize it.”