BelarusEurope – Central Asia December 14, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Investigation into journalist Oleg Bebenin’s death reopened The Minsk prosecutor general today closed the investigation into journalist Oleg Bebenin’s death, concluding that it was suicide. One of Belarus’ leading opposition journalists and the founder of Charter 97.org, a website critical of the government, Bebenin was found hanged at his country home near Minsk on 3 September.Reporters Without Borders is concerned that Bebenin’s death has not been given a thorough and objective investigation, one that would examine the possible political motives and might uncover evidence supporting the suspicion that he was murdered.Bebenin’s death sent shockwaves through the international community. European Parliament president Jerzy Buzek called for a thorough and transparent investigation on 5 September. His call was reiterated the next day by Dunja Mijatovic, the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe’s media freedom representative.Under international pressure, the Belarusian authorities agreed to an investigation by two OSCE experts. In a statement issued by the OSCE on 23 November, the two experts said the evidence collected at the scene and the autopsy results supported the official conclusion that it was a suicide.But Bebenin’s colleagues and government opponents, including members of the “European Belarus” movement, have accused the OSCE experts of conducting nothing more than a forensic examination of the evidence provided to them by the prosecutor’s office.“European Belarus” coordinator Zmitser Bandarenka told Reporters Without Borders: “It gives the impression that the experts were just the puppets of the Belarusian government’s political game.” Andrei Sannikov, a leading opposition presidential candidate, said: “What have they confirmed? That he died by hanging. We have never disputed that. What remains unanswered is whether or not it was suicide.”Bebenin was an influential opposition figure who often criticised the government and President Alexander Lukashenko on the Charter97.org website. He had been planning to join Sannikov’s campaign team for the presidential election, which is due to take place on 19 December. The political murder theory was plausible and should be explored. News News RSF_en Help by sharing this information Organisation BelarusEurope – Central Asia RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” June 2, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says News News to go further May 28, 2021 Find out more Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown Reporters Without Borders appeals to European Union officials and the OSCE not to settle for this report and instead to open a new independent investigation that is not limited to the existing evidence but looks at the circumstances surrounding Bebenin’s death.The theory of a murder needs to be explored in the light of the death threats that Bebenin had received in the preceding months. As Lukashenko, the country’s president for the past 16 years, prepares to be elected for a fifth consecutive term, we need to know whether the European Union and OSCE want to render to justice to the democratic values and freedom of expression that Bebenin represented.When Bebenin’s body was discovered, the prosecutor’s office lost no time in saying it appeared to have been suicide, highlighting the fact two empty alcohol bottles were found near the body. His friends all disputed this claim, pointing out that he had no personal or professional problems and no suicide note was found. Follow the news on Belarus Reporters Without Borders hails the Minsk prosecutor general’s decision to reopen the investigation into journalist Oleg Bebenin’s death, reversing his 3 December decision to close the case after concluding that Bebenin killed himself.He announced on 10 December that the investigation would be continued in order to determine what pushed Bebenin to take his own life. The announcement came just nine days before a presidential election in which Bebenin would have been a member of opposition candidate Andrei Sannikov’s campaign staff.President Alexander Lukashenko, who expects to be reelected, commented to a Kremlin journalist a few days ago: “What political changes? What are you talking about? There will definitely be political changes, I am sure you mean political changes in general, but there won’t be any change of government in Belarus”.——————————————————————————————–More thorough investigation into journalist’s death needed3.12.2010 May 27, 2021 Find out more
Perez, who has cost a reported £1.5million, scored 16 goals in 34 appearances in Spain’s second division last season. Ayoze told nufcTV: “I’m very happy to be here to start this new adventure. Newcastle have signed 20-year-old striker Ayoze Perez from Tenerife. “I’m very eager for it to begin and I’m very pleased to play for this magnificent club. “Any football player would be interested in playing for such a club and I will earn my position to get in the first team.” Press Association
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say PSG shopping in Premier League to find new midfielderby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the lovePSG are shopping in the Premier League to find a new midfielder.The Sun says Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina is among a five-man wishlist for January.PSG are also looking at Ajax’s Frenkie De Jong as a new central midfielder but competition for the Dutchman means they have drawn up alternatives.Watford’s Abdoulaye Doucoure, Everton’s Idrissa Gueye and Salzburg’s Diadie Samassekou are all too under consideration.Lemina is high on PSG’s list on their budget, as they look to comply with Financial Fair Play rules.
Watford boss Gracia plays down Deeney wind-up celebrationby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWatford boss Javi Gracia hailed goalscorer Troy Deeney after victory over West Ham.The Watford captain slammed home a first-half penalty and Gerard Deulofeu added a late second to stun West Ham 2-0 and scupper their bid to win five matches on the spin.Deeney celebrated his successful spot-kick by punching the corner flag out of the ground in front of the West Ham supporters.”What I saw was that after the goal he was running to the corner,” Gracia said.”I don’t know what he said. I can’t tell you if it’s a good or bad celebration, I often see players running into the corner.”I like the way he plays, his commitment, all the things he does day by day. Like all the players he maybe makes mistakes but he is our captain and an important player for us.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
DUMPED? Liverpool risk expulsion from Carabao Cupby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool risk expulsion from the Carabao Cup if they are found to have fielded an ineligible player against MK Dons on Wednesday.The EFL is investigating the third-round win, in which Liverpool fielded four teenagers in the starting line-up.Sanctions could range from a fine to being ejected from the cup. Liverpool face Arsenal in the next round.”The club are aware of a potential administrative issue pertaining to one of our players,” a club statement said.”We are working with the relevant authorities in order to establish the facts of the matter and will be making no further comment until this process is complete.”The EFL added: “We are currently considering the matter.”The identity of the player in question has not been disclosed. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
VICTORIA, B.C. – The Alert Ready system will be tested in B.C. today, Wednesday, May 8 at 1:55 p.m.One of the ways the Province is supporting Emergency Preparedness Week is by participating in national public safety emergency notification system testing.The Alert Ready system will be tested in B.C. on Wednesday, May 8 at 1:55 p.m. During the test, an alert will be broadcast on radio and television stations, as well as on compatible wireless devices. This testing is designed to assess the system’s readiness for an actual emergency and identify any adjustments that need to be made. ‘This is a TEST of the British Columbia Emergency Alerting System, issued by Emergency Management British Columbia. This is ONLY a TEST. If this had been an actual emergency or threat, you would now hear instructions that would assist you to protect you and your family. For further information go to www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.ca. This is ONLY a TEST, no action is required.’Do not call 911 for additional information about the test. Using 911 for non-emergency calls could delay help for people experiencing real emergencies.For more information on the Alert Ready testing; CLICK HEREAlert Ready frequently asked questions; CLICK HERE
MADRID: Real Madrid’s players feel like they have won a trophy following Zinedine Zidane’s return to the club after a troubling 10-month spell in the wake his departure, defender Alvaro Odriozola said.Zidane resigned as Madrid coach last May after winning a third consecutive Champions League title, but the Frenchman made a remarkable comeback earlier this month when Santiago Solari was sacked.That was less than five months after Julen Lopetegui was also removed from the role due to disappointing results. Also Read – Puducherry on top after 8-wkt win over ChandigarhThe European champions, who were knocked out of this year’s Champions League in the last 16 by Ajax Amsterdam after a chastening 4-1 defeat, enjoyed a therapeutic 2-0 win over Celta Vigo in Zidane’s first game back in charge.They will be looking to extend the positive feeling his return has brought when they host Huesca on Sunday.”Zidane’s return has reignited the hopes of supporters and for us it’s practically like winning a trophy, we are very happy,” Odriozola said in an interview with website La Galerna.”We have talked about what he likes about my game and about my weak points, ‘Zizou’ always tells you the truth and players appreciate sincerity like that.” Madrid are 12 points behind runaway La Liga leaders Barcelona and have no realistic prospect of winning a trophy this season after they were also eliminated in the Copa del Rey semi-finals by Barca.
Some upsets aren’t as big as the seed lines suggest; some are bigger. Two years ago, the No. 2-seeded Duke Blue Devils were upset by No. 15 Lehigh in the first round of the NCAA tournament. But Duke was the weakest No. 2 seed in 2012, according to the FiveThirtyEight projections that year, whereas Lehigh was unusually strong for a No. 15. Our model had given Lehigh a 10 percent chance of winning.Something of the same pattern held last season when No. 2 Georgetown lost to No. 15 Florida Gulf Coast in the first round. Georgetown was just the 15th-best team in the country, according to our ratings, and was badly overseeded as a No. 2. Our model gave that upset a 10 percent chance of occurring as well.This afternoon, as a No. 3 seed, Duke lost to 14th-seeded Mercer — but the Blue Devils (and the FiveThirtyEight model) have fewer excuses. In fact, Duke was the strongest No. 3 by some margin this year, according to our ratings and other indices like Ken Pomeroy’s power ratings. Our projections had Mercer with just a 7 percent chance of winning before the game began.
Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer announces the team’s offensive and defensive players of the week during his weekly press conference, but this Monday, he did something different. His offensive award was not to a single player, but to an entire unit: the offensive line.“Our offensive player of the week ran for 210 yards, had 15 knockdowns, scored 17 points and on the last drive of the game, killed four minutes and 30 seconds running the ball against a very good defense, so our offensive player of the game is our offensive line,” Meyer said of the unit’s performance in the Buckeyes’ 17-16 victory against Michigan State on Saturday.That offensive line consists of redshirt junior left tackle Jack Mewhort, junior left guard Andrew Norwell, redshirt junior center Corey Linsley, redshirt junior right guard Marcus Hall and senior right tackle Reid Fragel. Each has started all five games so far this season.Meyer expressed his satisfaction with the performance and progression of the offensive line through the season’s first five games, and especially in its most recent game.“Those five guys right now are locked and loaded, they’re together, they’re being well-coached, and they found a way to rush for 200 yards against a very stout team that doesn’t give up much rushing yardage,” Meyer said. “That’s the group right now that I’m most pleased with.”Coming into the season, however, the Buckeyes had less certainty with their offensive line, as they had to replace three starters from 2011.Norwell is the only returning starter in his same position from 2011, while Mewhort moved from right guard to left tackle. Hall had started five games at right guard in 2011, while Linsley and Fragel, the latter of whom was a tight end in his first three years with the Buckeyes, had never started a game as an offensive lineman at OSU.Mewhort said this year’s starting offensive line has come together well.“We’re really gelling well, and we’re getting better every day, so we’re really excited about the places we’re going,” Mewhort said.Offensive line coach Ed Warinner said the unit has “continued to grow” over the course of the season thus far.“They’ve played together for five games … we’re not a finished product there … we still have a lot of things to continue to grow and clean up and get better at, but I think they’re really playing hard, they’re starting to understand what we want in the spread offense, we’re trying to be physical up front,” Warinner said. “They practice that way and they’re starting to carry it to the game field and it was good, it was good to be able to finish off that game the way we did, and for them to be recognized by the head coach and the offensive staff as a unit that made the big impact, that was great.”Warinner said Meyer’s stamp of approval is meaningful to the offensive linemen because of the work they’ve put in.“I think it validates the hard work that they’ve put in, and just how hard they’re playing,” Warinner said. “There were four starting offensive linemen in this building at 6:30 this morning without anybody telling them they had to be here, without anybody making them have to be here. That tells me right now that they’re pretty all in.”Meyer specifically pointed out the progression of Fragel as a first-year offensive tackle for the Buckeyes.“Reid Fragel has become an offensive lineman. He wasn’t an offensive lineman at first, who are we kidding? He was a tight end playing offensive line that was trying to figure it out. His last two games, he’s now an offensive lineman, an Ohio State offensive lineman, which is, you say that around here, that’s pretty powerful stuff. We’ve had some great offensive linemen throughout the years,” Meyer said.While Meyer did praise the five starters, he expressed concern about the offensive line’s depth.“Unfortunately, we only got five (starting-caliber offensive linemen),” Meyer said. “(We) should have eight of them, we don’t. We have five guys right now.”The next test for the No. 12 Buckeyes’ offensive line is scheduled for Saturday in a home game versus No. 21 Nebraska at 8 p.m.Warinner said his unit will have to “be at our best” while going up against the Cornhuskers’ defensive front.“They have big defensive tackles that try to knock the guards back, they have defensive ends that are aggressive, quick,” Warinner said. “It’s a challenging defense … They are good up front. We’ll have to take it a notch up from last week.”
Ohio State’s Bo Jordan wrestles Kaleb Young in the dual-meet against Iowa on Jan. 21 in the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Photo EditorThe No. 2 Ohio State wrestling team (12-0, 7-0 Big Ten) beat up on Purdue (6-6, 0-5 Big Ten), defeating the Boilermakers 35-7 Sunday afternoon at Graham High School in St. Paris, Ohio.Ohio State’s Bo and Micah Jordan competed in their high school gym for the first time since they graduated. No. 5 Micah beat redshirt sophomore Cole Wysocki 21-9 at 157 pounds, and No. 3 Bo won 9-4 against No. 10 redshirt sophomore Dylan Lydy of Purdue at 174 pounds.Two other matchups between ranked wrestlers occurred, with Ohio State No. 11 junior Joey McKenna edging out No. 18 sophomore Nate Limmex 6-0 at 141 pounds. Ohio State No. 4 senior Nathan Tomasello beat No. 15 senior Luke Welche 18-5 at 125.Ohio State redshirt junior Cody Burcher upset No. 19 Jacob Morrissey with a pin just 34 seconds into the match. Burcher was wrestling in replace of No. 13 junior Te’Shan Campbell, who has struggled recently and lost his fourth consecutive match against Michigan State Friday.No. 2 junior Myles Martin won 20-4 with a technical fall against Purdue junior Jonathan Morales, securing the victory in the 184-pound division. No. 1 sophomore Kollin Moore won 18-3 against Purdue sophomore Christian Brunner.Ohio State No. 6 sophomore Ke-Shawn Hayes competed against redshirt sophomore Austin Nash at 149 pounds, and came away with a 24-6 win. Redshirt junior Ben Thornton beat Ohio State freshman Brakan Mead 10-2 at 133 pounds. Mead wrestled in place of No. 2 sophomore Luke Pletcher.Ohio State redshirt freshman Kevin Snyder lost to No. 15 freshman Shawn Streck 5-2 at heavyweight. Snyder was wrestling in replacement of his brother Kyle Snyder, who won the Yarygin Grand Prix in Krasnoyarsk, Russia, Sunday morning. Ohio State’s next meet starts at 8 p.m. Saturday in University Park, Pennsylvania, against No. 2 Penn State. The matchup will be streamed on Big Ten Network.