News July 7, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Prize-winning blog threatened with legal action to go further RSF_en Receive email alerts Follow the news on Tunisia December 26, 2019 Find out more Help by sharing this information Forum on Information and Democracy 250 recommendations on how to stop “infodemics” TunisiaMiddle East – North Africa Organisation News News November 11, 2020 Find out more News Nawaat.org, a Tunisian blog that received the 2011 Netizen Prize from Reporters Without Borders, is threatened with legal action by Antoine Sfeir, a journalist and academic with dual French and Lebanese nationality, over a 20 March article by Lebanese journalist René Naba about the “Ben Ali dictatorship’s Lebanese sycophants.” Sfeir edits the magazine Les Cahiers de l’Orient.The lawsuit threat comes at time when Tunisia continues to face the possibility of generalized Internet censorship.Nawaat.org received a letter from Sfeir’s lawyer on 16 June demanding the article’s withdrawal within 48 hours under threat of a libel action. After getting no reply, his lawyer sent the same warning to Dreamhost, a US-based company that hosts the Nawaat.org website. Dreamhost passed the letter to Nawaat.org.Four other websites that had posted the article – Oumma, Palestine-Solidarité, Izuba and Reneaba – received the same warning.Reporters Without Borders condemns these intimidation attempts reminiscent of the Ben Ali era and points out that developing democracy requires respect for press freedom and free speech. The organization also urges Dreamhost not to yield to Sfeir’s pressure and to stand by its commitment to freedom of expression.In a joint statement, the five websites said they would not withdraw the disputed article and would fight for freedom of expression.Nawaat.org said the letter from Sfeir’s lawyer “mentioned no specific passage and just talked of defamation.” It is well known that anyone who disputes claims made in an article has the right of reply, the website said. “Demanding the complete withdrawal of an article without making prior use of the right of reply is tantamount to censorship,” Nawaat.org said. “Such censorship is all the more unacceptable as less than a fifth of the article refers to the plaintiffs.”Sfeir told Reporters Without Borders he was not necessarily demanding the withdrawal of Naba’s entire article, just the “defamatory” insinuations that he had personally received money from former President Ben Ali.Created in 2004, Nawaat.org is an independent collective blog operated by Tunisian bloggers. Access to the blog was blocked in Tunisia by the Ben Ali regime’s censorship apparatus. Eleven organizations from civil society create the Forum on Information & Democracy, a structural response to information disorder TunisiaMiddle East – North Africa Tunisia : RSF asks Tunisian president’s office to respect journalists November 12, 2019 Find out more
Three other Belsat employees (cameraman Zmitser Soltan and the reporters Zmitser Krauchuk and Artsiom Bahaslauski) and Dzmitry Dzmitrieu, a photographer for the independent weekly newspaper Novy Chas, were arrested on 1 November while covering the protests, and one day later were declared suspects in a criminal case under Article 342 (“mass unrest”). On 13 November, security forces searched Dzmitrieu’s apartment as part of the investigation.Journalist detained by intelligence agencyKatsiaryna Barysevich, a journalist for the news website tut.by and one of the country’s best-known court reporters, has been held in a Belarusian intelligence agency (KGB) detention centre since 19 November. She was arrested while reporting on the death of Raman Bandarenka, who died in unexplained circumstances after his arrest on 11 November. Barysevich had quoted a doctor as saying that, contrary to what the authorities claim, no alcohol had been found in the blood of 31-year-old Bandarenka. The Prosecutor General’s Office then launched criminal proceedings against the doctor for “disclosing medical secrets” and “passing on false information,” and Barysevich was also arrested in the course of these proceedings. In September, criminal proceedings were initiated against Yahor Martsinovich, editor-in-chief of the weekly newspaper Nasha Niva, on charges of defamation. The case against him is based on an article published by the paper in which a well-known DJ claimed that deputy interior minister Alexander Barsukov had beaten him in prison. Police searched Martsinovich’s apartment on 23 September and confiscated technical equipment and data storage media. Martsinovich was interrogated by the Investigative Committee and remained in solitary confinement for three days. BelarusEurope – Central Asia Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ImprisonedWomenImpunityFreedom of expressionJudicial harassmentViolence Initially, the journalist was given seven days in detention for “participating in an unauthorized event and resisting state authority.” Five days later, she was charged under Article 342 of the Belarusian Criminal Code with “organizing and preparing actions that seriously violate the public order or actively participating in such actions” – a far more serious offence. She is now to remain in custody until 20 January, awaiting trial. If convicted, she faces up to three years in prison. Her husband, Belsat journalist Ihar Ilyash, was also arrested unexpectedly on 24 November. According to Belsat, he was not involved in the coverage of the recent protests. “The charges brought against Katsyarina Andreyeva clearly illustrate the travesty of justice to which journalists are subjected in Belarus,” said Jeanne Cavelier, the head of RSF’s Eastern Europe and Central Asia desk. “The laws are abused and evidence is fabricated in order to hamper their work and reduce them to silence. Katsyarina Andreyeva and the other detained journalists must be released at once and the charges against them must be dropped.”Criminal prosecution for reporting on mass protets Organisation According to the Belarusian Association of Journalists, 367 media workers have been detained since the controversial presidential election on 9 August, and 78 of them have already served detention sentences. Eleven journalists are currently in prison. The association recently summarized the most serious violations of press freedom committed in Belarus in recent months in an English-language report. to go further News Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown At least nine journalists in Belarus are currently being prosecuted or threatened with criminal prosecution. Belsat journalist Darya Chultsova was arrested in Minsk on the same day as Andreyeva, and criminal proceedings are presumably also underway against her. However, according to the independent Belarusian Association of Journalists (BAJ), her lawyer signed a confidentiality agreement and therefore cannot even confirm whether a case has been opened against Chultsova, and if so, for which offences. November 27, 2020 Belarus: Journalistic work must not be criminalized RSF_en First case of several months’ detention for covering protestsA Minsk-based reporter for Belsat, a TV channel based in Poland that is aimed at Belarusian viewers, Andreyeva was arrested on 15 November in an apartment from which she was filming the crackdown on a demonstration in Minsk’s Square of Change. The owner of the apartment confirmed this in court. According to the journalist, the door was broken down and around ten security officers entered the apartment and took her away. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on the Belarusian regime to immediately release imprisoned Belsat journalist Katsyarina Andreyeva and to not use criminal proceedings to prevent media workers from doing their job.Andreyeva has been charged with participating in protests against President Alexander Lukashenko and faces up to three years in prison. Until now, reporters covering the mass protests in Belarus have been detained for no more than 15 days. Andreyeva is to remain in custody until at least 20 January, pending trial. News May 27, 2021 Find out more Sergei Satsuk, a journalist known for his investigative reporting on Belarus’s healthcare system and editor of the news website Yezhednevnik, is also facing prosecution. He was arrested on 25 March after criticizing Lukashenko’s handling of the Covid-19 pandemic in an editorial. Ten days after his arrest, Satsuk was released on condition that he check in regularly with the authorities. Satsuk was accused of having accepted bribes, for which he faces up to ten years in prison. The journalist was also investigated for fraud, but no official charges were brought against him. Twelve media workers behind bars Credit: Katsyarina Andreyeva’s Facebook RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” Receive email alerts June 2, 2021 Find out more BelarusEurope – Central Asia Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ImprisonedWomenImpunityFreedom of expressionJudicial harassmentViolence Help by sharing this information Belarus is ranked 153rd out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says Follow the news on Belarus May 28, 2021 Find out more News News
iStock/deng qiufeng(INDIANAPOLIS) — Twins with different birthdays is a rare occurrence. Twins with different birth years even more so. But a woman in Indiana has done something almost unheard of – she has given birth to twins born in different decades.“We are still in shock,” Dawn Gilliam, mother to the twins, told ABC News’ Indianapolis affiliate station WRTV alongside her partner Jason Tello at Ascension St. Vincent Carmel Hospital. The twins also weren’t due for another 7 weeks so their special birthday was a big surprise to the parents.“We were surprised how big they were,” Gilliam said. “We joked about it before knowing that we were in labor.”Joslyn Grace Guilen Tello was born at 11:37 p.m. on Dec. 31, 2019 weighing 4 pounds 11 ounces and 17.9 inches long while her brother, Jaxon DeWayne Mills Tello was born exactly 30 minutes later on the next day, Jan. 1, 2020, weighing 4 pounds 4 ounces and 18.1 inches long.Joslyn and Jaxon’s birthdays were also notable to Ascension St. Vincent Carmel because Joslyn was the very last baby born there in 2019 and Jaxon was the very first baby born there in 2020.Joslyn, Jaxon, Jason and Dawn are all doing well. Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Previous Article Next Article Comments are closed. A new e-learning system is set to save the US navy £14m ($20m) over the next10 years. From October, Thinq’s e-learning system will be installed on the navy’sships so that 1.2 million sailors can access training from land or sea. Bill Dyas, branch head of distributive learning at the US navy, said thee-learning system will reduce the travel costs of staff seeking training andcut training time by 20 per cent. Dyas said, “E-learning fits perfectly into the navy’s primary mission whichis to bring more knowledge to more sailors, faster and at less cost. We have amobile workforce and our challenge is to reach and train all of them.” Staff will be able to access most of the 3,860 naval training courses on theintranet. The e-learning courses will consist of one-hour sessions that arepart of month-long modules on subjects ranging from leadership to IT skills. The system will also be used to assess potential recruits. “This is theperfect win-win HR situation,” Dyas said. “Our raw materials will beof a higher level bringing better knowledge and skills to the table at thebeginning. Better recruits will lead to a better product.” E-learning for US sailorsOn 21 Aug 2001 in Personnel Today Related posts:No related photos.
Northern Foods has had another setback in its battle to stop production of Melton Mow-bray pork pies being restricted to a 1,800 square mile zone around the Leicestershire town.The company has been battling for seven years against the Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Association’s (MMPPA) plans to gain “Protected Geographical Indication” (PGI) status for the pies. Foods which are awarded this status can only be produced in a specified area – for example, Champagne can only be produced in the Champagne region of France. A PGI zone would stop Northern Foods’ Palethorpes factory in Shropshire and Bowyers factory in Trowbridge from producing Melton Mowbray pies, which they have been making for over 100 years. Northern Foods had argued Melton Mowbray is a generic name for a style of product, the production of which had long moved away from Leicestershire. It said the application for a 1,800-square-mile Melton Mowbray catchment area was an artificial boundary. But on December 21, High Court judge Mr Justice Crane decreed the definition of a “geographical area” could include a zone rather than just a town. Northern Foods has also queried the MMPPA’s claim that Melton Mowbray pies must be grey and made from uncured pork. It says the Association’s dominant member, Samworth Brothers, produces both cured and uncured pies, branded as Melton Mowbray. Northern Foods started the High Court action last year, putting on hold deliberations on the case already under way at the European Commission. The company will decide by January 18 whether to apply to the High Court for permission to take the case to the Court of Appeal. Director of communications Hilary Baker told British Baker it believes the MMPPA is involved in a “cynical misuse of legislation”. One of the Association’s key members is Samworth Brothers, which controls 62% of the £51.7m Melton Mowbray pork pie market. Northern Foods has a 24% share, according to TNS figures, added Ms Baker. “We think it’s anti-competitive, The biggest producer is conveniently in this zone, and is trying to stop its rival from producing,” she said.Northern Foods could transfer production of its Melton Mowbray pork pies to its facility in the Melton Mowbray zone if the EU does award the pies PGI status, she suggested, but no decision has been taken. It would also seek five-year transitional arrangements to allow it to keep producing in its current facilities.If Northern Foods decides not to appeal, the application to restrict production of the pork pies, made by the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs on behalf of the MMPPA, will continue through the EC approval process. Permission could be granted as soon as May this year.Matthew O’Callaghan, the MMPPA’s chairman, said: “It is important for the protection of traditional, regional foods that applications such as ours should not be defeated merely by the threat of legal action from large manufacturers. We are not a protectionist cartel. If other companies want to come to the Melton Mowbray area and make pies to a traditional recipe using traditional ingredients, they are very welcome.”The EU Protected Food Names Schemes came into force in 1993 and provides protection of food names on a geographical or traditional recipe basis.
67SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr,Myriam DiGiovanni After writing for Credit Union Times and The Financial Brand, Myriam DiGiovanni covers financial literacy for FinancialFeed. She is also a storytelling expert and works with credit unions to help … Web: www.financialfeed.com Details The countdown to Thanksgiving has begun.We all look forward to preparing a great meal for friends and family, but the costs – in both time and money – can be hard to digest.If you are hosting this year’s feast, here are few ways to keep the financial and emotional stress to a minimum.Make a plan: Decide on your menu early. List all the ingredients you need and start looking for deals. When it comes to food shopping, the earlier the better. Many stores have already started their holiday season specials, so keep an eye out for coupons and discounts. Break up the turkey day shopping list and pick up a few items at a time during your regular supermarket runs. Speaking of turkey, it’s time to get your pre-orders in. Spare yourself the stress of hunting down a turkey at the last minute by reserving a frozen turkey now. If you’re feeding a crowd, don’t limit yourself to just your local grocery store. Membership warehouses like Costco, Sam’s Club and BJ’s are great places to find deals on bulk wine, beer and other drinks, as well as produce, frozen items and desserts.Buy the right size turkey: According to the Natural Resource Defense Council, about 204 million pounds of turkey, worth a total of $293 million, is tossed in the trash each year. The general rule of thumb to figure out how much turkey you need is 1 to 1 ½ pounds of turkey per person. Don’t worry, you’ll still have leftovers … but maybe just 2 days’ worth instead of weeks.Sharing is caring: Who says you have to do all the cooking? Maybe this is the year you go potluck. As the host, you can provide the main meat dishes like turkey, ham, brisket, lamb or seafood. Then, ask your guests to each bring a side dish, dessert or a bottle of their favorite beverage (with or without alcohol) to complete the spread. But make sure you confirm what each person is bringing or you may end up with five green bean casseroles.Outsource the meal: Do you want to host Thanksgiving dinner but you’re not up to cooking this year? Check out mail-order meal kits. Some consider it the best of both worlds. It’s still a home cooked meal, but the menu and ingredients are all delivered right to your door. If you prefer to have someone else do all of the cooking, start scoping out local restaurants and grocery stores for Thanksgiving Day catering deals. You will likely spend more money than going the DIY route, but the savings in time and stress may be worth it.