Animal rights protest group SPEAK staged the first of a series of protests against animal testing this week. The demonstrations are to coincide with the Degree Day ceremonies being held at the Sheldonian theatre this month.Vice-Chancellor John Hood, who normally ignores the group’s disruption, responded to the demonstration. Ben Maling, a graduate present said, “John Hood made a very diplomatic speech defending the right to a legal protest (such as Saturday’s), but feeling that it was a shame to target an event that holds such importance for so many people.”Another graduate, Laurent Guillemain added that John Hood’s speech, apologizing for the noise, lightened the mood in the Sheldonian, and “seemed to make the parents much happier.”The group claimed their protests intended to draw attention to the alleged ‘abuse and fear’ experienced by animals involved in medical experiments through at the University.An estimated 25 protestors gave out leaflets and shouted slogans for the length of the ceremony, which took place on Saturday. Police were in attendance, surveying the demonstrators.Many graduates felt that the timing of the protests was highly unsuitable.Guillemain commented, “We could hear the protestors inside the Sheldonian, and I think it was especially disruptive for the parents, as it’s a day they were very proud of. It’s a ridiculous attempt by the protestors to try and get one back on the university, as it’s the students and parents that ultimately get targeted.”Maling felt the chanting was unacceptable. He said, “I attended the ceremony on Saturday, and as a result I was subjected to all the protestors’ chants on the way in. During the ceremony they became louder but the ceremony carried on as it should have.”SPEAK’s website justified the protests. It said, “Whilst for some people the degree ceremonies are about celebrating their academic achievements, for the animals imprisoned inside Oxford University’s labs it is just another day of abuse and fear, waiting to die in painful and pointless experiments.”However, many students questioned the choice of date and occasion for the protest. Rebecca Tibbs, first year biochemist said, “How many people graduating were actually involved in the sciences which make use of animal testing? It doesn’t seem that productive to disrupt a whole group of graduates celebrating their time at Oxford, most of who are probably indifferent, or even supportive, of the protest group’s cause.”Earlier this year, SPEAK handed a 65,000-signature petition to the University. This condemned all animal testing, in particular the new Oxford University Biomedical Sciences Centre.Further protests are planned for the next two Degree Days, as well as an honorary degree ceremony in June.
Ocado, the online grocer, has warned of a smaller-than-expected rise in full-year profit margins – after it invested in improving customer service and saw sales growth slow in its third quarter.The company said in an interim management statement this morning that gross sales had risen by 16.9% to £148m in the 12 weeks to 7 August, down from 17.2% growth in the second quarter.Ocado said it received 110,945 orders per week in the period, with customers spending £111.08 on average.Tim Steiner, chief executive of Ocado, said: “In spite of the tough economic environment, our sales are growing substantially and we remain focused on improving the range, value and service for our customers.“We are continuing to expand the capacity of our first fulfilment centre in Hatfield, with significant progress made over the summer months.”
Hartford To Receive Growth Center Grant To Plan For Future DevelopmentWHO: Governor Jim DouglasWHAT: Award CeremonyWHY: Presentation of $40,000 grant to Town of HartfordWHERE: Site of proposed Prospect Street Redevelopment in White River JunctionWHEN: 3:00 p.m. Wednesday, October 29, 2008MONTPELIER, Vt. – The Town of Hartford will be receiving a $40,000 state grant to help the town in planning for Growth Center designation, a move that will help streamline future development.Governor Jim Douglas will present a check to town officials at the site of the proposed Prospect Street Redevelopment in White River Junction.This is the second year that the state has awarded, through a competitive process, a special grant for Growth Center Designation planning. Last year Colchester received the grant.For further information on the event please contact David Mace at (802) 828-5229.Directions: From Interstate 89 South take the I-91 North /I-91 South exit toward Brattleboro/White River. Merge onto I-91 North via the exit on the left toward White River Junction. Take the US-5 exit, Exit 11, toward White River Junction. Merge onto US-5 North toward US-4. Turn slight onto US-4/US-5/Hartford Ave. for two tenths miles. Turn right onto Maple Street/US-4/VT-14 for two tenths miles. Turn left onto Prospect St.
Governor Jim Douglas announced Thursday that he would allow H. 66, An Act Relating to voluntary school district merger, virtual merger, supervisory union duties, and including secondary students with disabilities in senior year activities and ceremonies, to become law without his signature.“While I support finding efficiencies through consolidation of school governance structures, I do not believe H. 66 is a meaningful step to achieve that end,” said Governor Douglas. “Not only does H. 66 fail to recognize the immediacy of our need to control property taxes in Vermont, it will, frankly, do little to encourage consolidation of districts. I cannot endorse this timid approach with my signature and hope future Legislatures will finally act on meaningful education reforms to rein in property taxes.”A bill sent to the governor becomes law if it is not signed or vetoed within five days of reaching his desk.A copy of the Governor’s message is below.
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Greentech Media:AES Corporation launched the world’s largest battery plant paired with solar generation Tuesday, on the Hawaiian island of Kauai.The Kauai Island Utility Cooperative is finishing up commissioning for the Lawa’i Solar and Energy Storage Project, which combines 28 megawatts of solar photovoltaic capacity with a lithium-ion battery capable of storing 100 megawatt-hours.The battery alone holds more energy than all but one other U.S. plant: the 120 megawatt-hour facility AES built in Escondido in 2017. Taken as a whole, Lawa’i’s storage capacity outranks any other operational solar-paired battery system in the world, according to Wood Mackenzie Power and Renewables. But the ever-growing solar-plus-storage project pipeline means that title won’t be safe for long.“This market is growing at a phenomenal rate,” said AES President and CEO Andrés Gluski. “I think you’re going to see a whole lot less peaker plants.”AES owns and operates the plant on behalf of KIUC, under a power purchase agreement pegged at 11 cents per kilowatt-hour. The plant delivers solar power when a standalone solar plant can’t: at night. That offsets the peaker plants that turn on for the evening peak; in Hawaii, those plants tend to run on imported oil, at considerable expense.Lawa’i can crank a full output of 20 megawatts for five hours. With 100 megawatt-hours of stored energy, the battery can also operate more like a baseload plant, delivering a lower amount of power for more hours through the night until the sun comes back up. AES expects to offset 3.7 million gallons of diesel each year by dispatching more cost-effectively than the fossil fueled incumbents.More: AES completes record-breaking solar and battery plant on Kauai World’s biggest solar-plus-storage project comes online in Hawaii
Dani Ceballos plays down rumours he could have left Arsenal in January Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 12 Feb 2020 9:30 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link3.9kShares Advertisement Comment Advertisement Ceballas was heavily linked with Valencia last month (Picture: Getty)‘I have never had a quiet transfer market, neither in summer nor winter,’ Ceballos told Spanish outlet Marca.‘It is a sign that you do things fairly well so that there are teams interested in you.‘But it is also true that I like stability at a club and I decided to stay at Arsenal because they signed me and I want to restore trust because I think it is time to step forward.‘It seems silly, but Arsenal fans have a song dedicated to me. There are only three or four players on the team who have a song and they have been there for many years.‘I feel very loved every time I play at the Emirates.’ Dani Ceballos has vowed to fight for his place under new Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta (Picture: Getty)Dani Ceballos has promised Arsenal fans he will be an ‘important’ player after the winter break and shut down rumours he could have left the club in January.The 23-year-old attacking midfielder, who joined on loan from Real Madrid last summer, was a regular in Unai Emery’s first-team but has since struggled for form and fitness and made just one substitute appearance under Mikel Arteta.Valencia registered an interest in Ceballos last month and the Spain international briefly considered terminating his loan deal at the Emirates to secure a move back to La Liga towards the end of the transfer window.AdvertisementAdvertisementBut Ceballos decided to fight for his place under new head coach Arteta and has vowed to repay the faith supporters have shown in him since he arrived in north London.ADVERTISEMENT Ceballos has made just one substitute appearance under Arteta (Picture: Getty)Ceballos believes a build-up of too many games may have caused the hamstring injury which sidelined him from the beginning of November through to the end of January.‘It was due to an excess of matches,’ he added.‘I had 17 games in two months, I was the only player who had played all those games. At that time I spoke with Unai and told him that in all competitions, as long as I could and my body allowed it, I wanted to play it all.‘Sometimes you have to learn from mistakes. It cost me an injury, but you learn a lot.’More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityCeballos is confident he will be a key player for the Gunners in the second half of the campaign after putting his injury problems behind him.‘Mikel is going to be a great coach,’ he said.‘He has learned from Pep [Guardiola], he has a game philosophy that I think fits perfectly in what he asks for his team.‘Yes, it is true that he has arrived in a difficult situation for the club but mentally he is the coach that I think is what Arsenal need right now.‘Since I came back I have been working with him just two weeks and now is when I have to show him that I am fit to play in Arsenal. After the break I will be important.’MORE: Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp ready to trigger Timo Werner’s £50m release clause
The investors include the UK Local Authority Pension Fund Forum (LAPFF); church investors, such as the Church Commissioners for England and the Central Finance Board of the Methodist Church; and other European pension funds, including Ilmarinen and Swedish buffer funds AP2, AP3 and AP4.A letter sent to shareholders by Shell said: “The board has given consideration to the resolution and has decided to recommend that shareholders support the resolution at the AGM.”The letter, from JJ Traynor, executive vice-president of investor relations, said Shell would report on:Ongoing operational emissions managementAsset portfolio resilience to post-2035 scenariosLow-carbon energy research and development and investment strategiesStrategic key performance indicators and executive incentivesPublic policy interventionsShell will provide additional reporting in 2015, in advance of full reporting in response to the resolution in 2016, in the most appropriate annually updated report or website location, which will include its sustainability reporting and its emissions reporting website.Kieran Quinn, chair of both the LAPFF and Greater Manchester Pension Fund, said: “This development from Shell is a clear example of the effectiveness of shareholder engagement backed by investor commitment. Universal owners taking an active approach to long-term risk, sustainability and carbon-management issues has benefits both for our beneficiaries and for our underlying investments.”Edward Mason, head of responsible investment for the Church Commissioners for England, said: “This shows what an important role shareholders can play in promoting business adaptation to the transition to a low-carbon economy. More widely, it demonstrates the benefit of corporate engagement and the constructive outcomes it can achieve.”Howard Sherman, head of corporate governance and product development at MSCI, said: “This is a remarkable and potentially historic development from a corporate governance perspective. It’s quite rare for a board to recommend in favour of a shareholder proposal, let alone one with such potential impact on the rest of the industry.” Sherman added: “When I started working in this field in 1986, it was rare to even see a shareholder proposal concerning environmental issues. The few that made it on to the ballot would receive at best 2-3% of the vote. This development shows just how fast climate change has emerged as a key corporate governance issue for many companies.” A similar resolution has also been filed by the coalition for BP’s AGM on 16 April.Have a look at IPE magazine’s excellent ESG report on carbon risk Investors in Royal Dutch Shell have welcomed the decision by the company’s board of directors to back a resolution on climate change at its annual general meeting in May.The special resolution – ‘Strategic resilience for 2035 and beyond’ – amplified by a supporting statement, calls for routine annual reporting from 2016 to include further information about certain activities related to climate change, including ongoing operational emissions management, asset portfolio resilience to the International Energy Agency’s scenarios, and public policy positions relating to climate change.It has been filed by Aiming for A, a coalition of more than 50 institutional investors with portfolios totalling £160bn (€209bn), and led by CCLA Investment Management, the specialist church and charity fund manager.Its name is taken from the highest rating (A) of CDP (formerly the Carbon Disclosure Project), an NGO that rates the performance of global companies on climate change.
DailyMail 28 October 2013Doctors 2 parents: Limit kids’ tweeting, texting & keep smartphones, laptops out of bedrooms. #goodluckwiththat.The recommendations are bound to prompt eye-rolling and LOLs from many teens but an influential pediatricians group says parents need to know that unrestricted media use can have serious consequences.It’s been linked with violence, cyberbullying, school woes, obesity, lack of sleep and a host of other problems. It’s not a major cause of these troubles, but ‘many parents are clueless’ about the profound impact media exposure can have on their children, said Dr. Victor Strasburger, lead author of the new American Academy of Pediatrics policy.‘This is the 21st century and they need to get with it,’ said Strasburger, a University of New Mexico adolescent medicine specialist.The policy is aimed at all kids, including those who use smartphones, computers and other internet-connected devices. It expands the academy’s longstanding recommendations on banning televisions from children’s and teens’ bedrooms and limiting entertainment screen time to no more than two hours daily.Under the new policy, those two hours include using the internet for entertainment, including Facebook, Twitter, TV and movies; online homework is an exception.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2478415/Kids-spend-TWO-HOURS-online-day-warn-doctors–parents-hope-enforcing-rule.html
The public prosecution filed a claim on Saturday evening accusing the head of a misdemeanor court in Nasr City, Cairo of demanding sexual favors in return for biased rulings in cases he was presiding over, according to judicial sources. The Supreme Judicial Council approved the resignation submitted by the judge on Sunday morning, the sources added. The claim filed by the public prosecution against the judge included the testimony of four people, among whom a woman who said the judge had tried to bribe her sexually, one week ago.The accused judge had previously ruled in public opinion cases, including the acquittal of host Ahmed Moussa over the defamation of Free Egyptians Party leader Ossama Ghazaly Harb and the head of the Central Auditing Organization, Hisham Geneina.He was also involved in a case where he rejected an appeal made by five female students on sentencing them to five years of hard labor and a fine of LE100,000 each.As part of his work at the Misdemeanor Court of Nozha, the judge presided over several more cases, such as when singer Hatem Fahmy was accused of fraud, or when a man claimed to be a prophet.The judge, R. A., meanwhile denied the charge in a phone call with Al-Masry Al-Youm on Sunday evening.He also denied submitting his resignation, adding that he is being subjected to a smear campaign by the Muslim Brotherhood.
Manila – With most of the sex trafficking activities happening online,an official of the Department of Justice said lawmakers should considerrelaxing provisions of the Anti-Wiretapping Law. The committee earlier found out thatChinese-run prostitution dens have been pimping Filipina teens and foreign sexworkers through chat apps. “Most of the recruitment happensonline, through social media or through chat apps which we have no access to,”Aglipay-Villar added. She said operatives need to secure acourt order before they can be exempted from the Anti-Wiretapping Law, which ismeant to protect the rights of private citizens. Sex traffickers, who cater primarilyto Chinese nationals, have been using food-related codes to evade censorship inChina, according to the investigation.(WithABS-CBN News/PN) Justice undersecretary EmmelineAglipay-Villar said investigators probing prostitution dens and humantrafficking activities should be allowed to monitor private conversations ofsuspects. Meanwhile, Senate committee chair RisaHontiveros said they will consider Aglipay-Villar’s suggestion alongside othercalls to regulate the Philippine Offshore Gaming Operations, an industry beingblamed for the alleged proliferation of Chinese prostitutes and clients in thecountry. “‘Yungmga batas natin, kailangan mag-evolve toaddress the changing nature of the crimes of trafficking and prostitution,” shesaid. Authorities rescue women from a prostitution den in Makati on October last year. With most of the sex trafficking activities happening online, an official of the Department of Justice said lawmakers should consider relaxing provisions of the Anti-Wiretapping Law. ABS-CBN NEWS “The committee will act on thatrecommendation based both sa humanrights, civil rights and effective law enforcement para sa protection ng mgababae,” Hontiveros added.